Monday, July 21, 2008

A Walk to Remember!

Well our site is now up www.walktoremember.org!!! I will give you a short background about how I got involved with the Walk. I delivered our twins at University Hospital, and we were lucky enough to have a perinatal bereavement counselor on staff there. The program at University provided us with a bereavement package of a camera, journal, support books. Also we were able to pick out preemie clothes, hats, and blankets for the twins and the staff at the hospital took pictures of our babies for us. All the things we received were given to us in a hand painted box to take home (something to carry out, since we were not carrying the twins out) Annette was our counselor, such a kind, caring lady. She had lost a child and decided to become a nurse, then a counselor at the hospital. She provided us with support resources for the Denver area. She told us about two groups(AWG and MISS) we had to at least try, we were very reluctant. I was not excited to go to group therapy, but after being home a couple days we knew we had to try something. So Justin called Assistance with Grief, and we signed up for the next couple’s class. I don’t know how many times I wanted to back out of going, I am so glad we did not it helped us so much. Our amazing facilitators were Natalie and Kristi, and there were two other couples in our class. Well Natalie was one of the co-founders of the Walk to Remember, this year she decided to step down and Leslie another participant of the group decided with a bunch of other moms to take on the challenge of keeping the walk going. Okay that was a little long. :)

So if you are reading this please come to the Walk!! It will be a great event!! It will be an amazing day for our family and friends to spend together. I know Justin and I have been like hermits the last six months, so here is your invitation to come see us!! I am sure there will be some sad moments, but it will also be a happy day of remembering all the children. The money raised will be going to bereavement packages and education. Justin and I were lucky that University had a great program to help us; many of the people we have met did not have such a caring experience. You can’t imagine the little things they did that helped us, they moved us from the birthing room, to a recovery room away from all the new babies, a tear drop was placed on our door indicating our loss—so everyone who came in knew and would always just say I am sorry. That is from Annette educating her staff on what to do. We want to help educate other people and provide families with the support we received!! So if you can’t go to the walk, donate (think 5 - 10 dollars would give parents a disposable camera to take pictures of their child)!! Please register early too, since this is the new groups first year of running the walk we want to be prepared!!

Go check out the new website - www.walktoremember.org. Read about us!!! Register!! Donate!!

Thanks!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, seeing as we will be in another country, I can not participate. But I'll talk to Eric about donating to you.
Thanks for the suggestion on the restaurant. It's not that much more expensive than the rest of the restaurants I looked up last night but getting a recommendation from you puts it to the top of my list. The scallop recipes sound yummy. I'll look into making a reservation as soon as our hotel is taken care of.