Monday, May 26, 2008

Recipe: Breakfast Parfaits

I have been asked where have the recipes gone on my blog, so here is a new recipe. I made these for our bible study ladies, they loved them. They are really easy to make and can be made ahead of time, and just put the granola and almonds on right before serving. I placed them in clear small punch cups. I thought they would be great for busy moms for breakfasts for the kids on the way out the door in the morning. I found this recipe in Cooking Light (www.cookinglight.com) a couple of years ago. Enjoy!!!
Ingredients
1/3 cup apricot preserves

3 cups sliced strawberries
2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt (I used non - fat yogurt)
1/2 cup low-fat granola without raisins (such as Kellogg's) (I actually used Archer Farms French Vanilla Almond Crunch from Target)
2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted (I used sliced)

Preparation:

Place apricot preserves in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at high for 10 to 15 seconds or until preserves melt. Add strawberries, and toss gently to coat.
Spoon 1/4 cup yogurt into each of 4 parfait glasses; top each serving with 1/3 cup strawberry mixture. Repeat the layers with the remaining yogurt and strawberry mixture. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons granola and 1 1/2 teaspoons almonds. Serve immediately.
Yield 4 servings (serving size: 1 parfait)
Nutritional Information
CALORIES 279(14% from fat); FAT 4.2g (sat 1.4g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 8.7g; CHOLESTEROL 6mg; CALCIUM 240mg; SODIUM 94mg; FIBER 3.9g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 53.5g
Karen Levin ,
Cooking Light, JUNE 2004

3 comments:

Jen said...

That looks great! I'm going to have to take some cooking classes from you.

Anonymous said...

Jill that sounds wonderful. We love fresh fruit topped with yogurt and some time of cereal (my favorite Vanilla Almond Crunch from Cascadian Farms). This sounds like a yummy alternative.

Jill said...

Jen,
E-mail me a list of your favorite foods, and foods you dislike and I can compile some recipes and show you how to cook them. I have a lot of recipes, in all different categories--(easy, healthy, impress your in-laws) :)