The last weekend of September, my first weekend, I could get out and about, we traveled to our hometown Haxtun, Colorado--population 1,000. Every year they have "Corn Festival." It was named this so farmers could celebrate the local corn harvest. If you have ever lived in Haxtun attending is a big deal. It is also alumni weekend where class reunions take place. There is a fireman's breakfast(never gone--to early), a run/walk, a kiddie parade, then the normal parade(I still love chasing candy thrown from the floats). Ever since I can remember, we would decorate our bikes with crepe paper and dress up trying to win that first prize a couple dollars. My nephew Blake and niece Jessa decorated there bikes, okay mom(Jenny) worked really hard on it. Here are some pictures. After the parade there are games for everyone--penny scramble, dashes, three-legged race, egg toss, and oops, I almost
forgot the shoe kick. There is the Lion's hamburger stand plus other food vendors so you can eat all day. Growing up one of my favorite things was two rides(cars and planes) they still have and the fishing pond. It is this tin little hut that you stick a pole with a string in it and you get a prize. They have added a a demolition derby at night. How could we forget the local legion where alcohol flows all day and night during the festival. Since I was pregnant this year. . . we did not attend the legion lush fest this year. Anyway, it is a fun way for friends and families to relax and have some fun each year--it is always the last weekend in September, in case you want to come. :)
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Festivals
If you have been to Corn Festival, what is your favorite memory, OR is there something that you attend each year?
Baby update: Well I made it a week off restrictions, but I am back on some of them. I was at the Dr.'s this week for my "issues", but my big appointment is next week. Hopefully I will get some ultrasound pics of the twins. My next blog I will post some pics of my first baby bargain purchases.
Posted by Jill at 9:38 AM
1 comments:
I love the pictures :)
The parade was a big hit as a kid, and all the games...egg toss, penny scramble. One thing i really miss too is the Lions Club stand hamburgers. They were soooo good, and the homemade pies!
we are hoping to get back next year. It will be Lisa's 20yr class reunion, so we thought it would be a good one for us all to try and get back for.
I haven't been back for at least 10 years.
My husband is in for a real treat. :)
Post a Comment