Monday, October 13, 2008

Walk to Remember

Team Triple J Scarves that Jenny H. made for all our friends and family for the The Walk.

Saturday was such a beautiful day despite the cold, rainy weather. After months of planning, the “Walk To Remember” took place at Clement Park. The day started early, actually I don’t know if I really slept the night before, plus we were cooking a 15 lb. brisket for after the walk until midnight. Well the alarm rang at 5am. UGH!!!! This is when caffeine would have been nice, but I had some apple cider. We arrived at the park at 6:30am, it was drizzling and cold around 38 degrees. But the weather can’t dampen a bunch of bereaved parent’s spirits, we have all experienced much worse events.

Here is a pic of the registration and silent auction areas.
My part for the day was setting up and staffing the bereavement care resources table with Stacy. We had support information on one side and the other was samples of the care packages (which the walk funds) that we deliver to hospitals. My dear sister and nephew Blake showed up early to volunteer and help us set up. People could also stop by and sponsor a care package in honor of a loved one.
I met so many people and listened to their grief journeys. It was the most touching experience. To spend a day honoring your children with people who truly understand the grief journey is very comforting and inspiring. Justin and I were also interviewed for the DU film school about our loss of JL and JL. This is my friend Jen M and me, also her husband Brian is posing in the background. :)

From 8-10am people registered and bid on items at the silent auction, then from 10-11am people walked down to the amphitheater for the program. The program consisted of singing, reading of the child's names, poems, a few short speeches. It was too cold and foggy to release the doves.


People walking down to the program.


Here is Corinne, Jenny H., her mom Judy and Kyle.

The crowd at the program part of the Walk Balloons being released in honor of the children. When your child or loved ones name was read, you released their balloon. It was a beautiful sight in the sky. It was very emotional watching the twins balloons in the sky slowing fading away. Justin and I with the twin's balloons. After the Walk, we had family and friends over to our house for lunch. We had a nice afternoon with all of them sitting around talking and laughing and consoling Kyle as the Wyoming game played in the background. They have been so supportive and caring in our journey. I don’t know what we would do without them. I thanked one of them for coming and she told me we will be here for you guys each year. That truly warmed my heart!!

Here is Lily Haynes and Logan Treick at our house after the Walk.

If you could not make it the Walk this year, there is always next year to participate. It will be in October again next year, since October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month, Ronald Reagan designated this. This Wednesday, October 15 is the actual day of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. Justin and I are going to try and go to a candlelight church service in Colorado Springs that night after our doctors appointment.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, must have been one intense day for you, Justin, all the others who came to support you. Hope it was a good day for you Jill. You look great, we hardly ever see you in pictures!

Amy said...

You do look great Jill. Sounds like the walk went great, your tables are amazing, you have always had the organization/creativity side I wish I had. I love the scarves as well, Jenny did a great job on them.